Instructions

Hello, Third Period!

For your ORB written assignment, I am requiring you to make three postings to this blog about your ORB. You must choose three different options from the "blogging options" handout (on First Class). I am looking for your commentary, which should make obvious why your ORB "educates your conscience."

Please, adhere to the expectations explained on the rubric (also on First Class).

Happy blogging!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Shannon O'Connor Theme: The Color Purple

The theme in the Color Purple was is to stand up for yourself and that its okay to ask for help and opinions. In the beginning of the book Celie would just take the abuse from almost everyone and the only "person" she told was her diary to God. It was a very powerful message and was made clear in certain scenes, but it was not extremely obvious throughout the book. This theme and is a good thing to know throughout your life, if you are in a situation that you don't like, don't take it, fight back. “I don’t say nothing. I think bout Nettie, dead. She fight, she run away. What good it do? I don’t fight, I stay where I’m told. But I’m alive.” (22) “You ast yourself one question, it lead to fifteen. I start to wonder why us need love. Why us suffer. Why us black. Why us men and women. Where do children really come from. It didn’t take long to realize I didn’t hardly know nothing. And that if you ast yourself why you black or a man or a woman or a bush it don’t mean nothing if you don’t ast why you here, period.” (289-290)

No comments:

Post a Comment