Instructions

Hello, Third Period!

For your ORB written assignment, I am requiring you to make three postings to this blog about your ORB. You must choose three different options from the "blogging options" handout (on First Class). I am looking for your commentary, which should make obvious why your ORB "educates your conscience."

Please, adhere to the expectations explained on the rubric (also on First Class).

Happy blogging!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Setting

The story begins as Ashoke and Ashima leave Calcutta, India and settle in Central Square, in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The Ganguli family lives in suburbs for most of their lifetime, until Gogol moves to the big city to follow his dream and meet the love(s) of his life. Gogol’s father also goes to Ohio, where he eventually dies of heart complications, to work for a college. The setting of the story (in the suburbs) may seem insignificant, but it actually was very important. By growing up in a close-knit society of mainly other Bengali families, Gogol and his little sister were not exposed to much of the outside world. I would consider living in this setting, mainly because I am close to it in retrospect now. Medium sized society in a quiet neighborhood and private school. I wouldn’t really change where I live, because I enjoy my current setting and I believe it is a good place to grow up. If the story had taken place back in India, Gogol’s life/name/friends/education would be completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment